Wednesday, August 12, 2015

As a reminder of her.

After a long day spent in Hershey I agreed to go to my moms boyfriends house with her to see what was going on with my car. ( They had been working on it all weekend.) My moms boyfriend lives at home with his father who is around the age of 75. When we got to his house his father was sitting on the porch so we sat with him and started to conversate and catch up. While I sat on the ledge of the porch I couldn't help but notice a small door to my left and through the window on the door I saw this room. Light from the sun casted through the window onto an antique white table and chair dining set and what looked like light blue carpets. It looked absolutely beautiful. I asked is that part of your house? Does someone else live there? My mother and him started laughing. He joked "Yes someone else lives there." Then got up and said "Follow me and I'll show you." So he opened the door and I followed him inside of his house. We made a sharp left turn and then he opened a door and I walked in. I was instantly hit with a breeze of fresh air and something about the room felt comforting and beautiful. It was very feminine. He pointed to a painting on the wall and told me his wife had painted it. A painting of their cat. He went on to tell me a story about how they had a mole in the back yard and how they bought the cat originally to get rid of the mole. As he was telling me the story I remember how my mother told me his wife had passed away a couple of years ago. I complimented him on how beautiful the room was. He knew how I was into writing and art so he pointed to a poem that was framed on the wall and told me to read it. He said it was his wife's favorite poem. Now unfortunately I don't remember the poem word for word but as I read it I started getting tears in my eyes. I realized that this room was hers. He kept this room as a reminder of her. I felt like how I felt watching the movie Up for the first time. I told him the poem was beautiful and I joked that I had better get out of there before I ball my eyes out and he said "I know I know", and we left the room. I left that night thinking how amazing? Love does exist and I felt the love they shared as I was in that room and I read that poem. Truly touching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment